Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Forget me not

While we had a rather nice evening watching The Sopranos, several conversations demonstrate Mama's memory issues and how... odd her memory can be.

She gets two checks a month from her investments, one is just the interest on the account and it usually comes at the beginning of the month. Like today. She told me she got it and knew EXACTLY how much it was for. She did however forget that she gets one every month and where it comes from. It's entertaining when she gets so excited about a check she gets all the time because it's new to her every month.

Her sense of what day it is seems to be completely gone. She asks me every day what day is it and sometimes has to ask what tomorrow will be. Tonight she remembered that tomorrow is Thursday and that Debbie comes. Not 10 minutes later she mentioned that I didn't have to get up early because tomorrow is Saturday.

"No," I said, "it's not. "

"Oh, then it's Friday."

"No. We just talked about this."

"Oh yes, it's Thursday."

"Does someone come for me tomorrow?"

"Yes, someone comes..." and I prompt her to say:

"Every day...." "Who comes tomorrow? Is it Alice?"

Sigh.

So, once we had the days aligned and the nursemaids all in a row, I turned on The Sopranos. We watched the first 15 minutes or so before the first commercial. When the commercial came on she turned to me and asked "have we watched this before?"

Oh. My. God.

"Yes, we watch it every week." We have watched it every week since they started showing it on A&E. It's been a good 2 months now.

"Oh, I don't remember it at all."

Last week on Wednesday when I said I needed to get a few things done early in the evening, she told me I needed to get done because The Sopranos were on at 9. How can she remember that one week and forget she's ever seen the show the next?

No comments: