Monday, April 16, 2007

Where have all the conversations gone?

Monday evening mama seems to have calmed down a bit from the weekend insanity. When I got home around 8 she was sitting on the bed watching The Andy Griffith Show. I don't think I've ever seen her watch that, but she was enjoying it. A Good Thing. I asked how her day was and she said it was fine. She couldn't remember what made it 'fine' but it was 'fine' nonetheless. I had a few things to get started downloading on the PC so I told her I had to change and putter around for a few minutes then I'd get her some dinner (since we went to Pizza Hut for Pizza Stuffa-You-Face-Buffet.)

When I got down she said she was pretty hungry because she hadn't eaten in a "long time or maybe not at all." Now, I'm usually pretty sure that "not at all" isn't reality because that's why we have nursemaids. But, she says weirder things and I just sort of dismissed it. TV diners are a grand thing and she got to have Chicken-Fried-Chicken and said it was "wonderful." All it needed was a little salt. Yes, she salts TV diners. I'm pretty sure her tastebuds have gone on permanent vacation, but shit, she's 83, who cares. She's got a salt shaker that lives on the tray table by her chair and god forbid someone takes it to the kitchen.

We watched a bit of TV - "2 1/2 Men" which is funny as shit. And I went up to take a shower between it and "CSI: Miami" which I find sort of... incredibly overacted, but there are always hot women in low cut blouses and I'm a sucker for boobies. While we were watching something mama asks (yes in the middle of the show, not like I'm not watching, could she wait for the commercial? noooooo. Even when she waits for the commercial, she just continues to babble after the show starts back up. At least this time she didn't ask if we'd ever seen it before.)

"Have you talked to LeeAnn lately?"

"Yep, I talked to her today."

"How's she doing."

"She's fine."

"I need to call her, I haven't talked to her in a long time."

ah, yeah, wait. It's been 2 entire days. This time I didn't even say a thing. I just agreed and left it there.

A few minutes after the LeeAnn conversation she asked if it was still raining.

"Yep, still raining." yeah, we got like 5".

"I was going to plant some flowers today, but it was too ugly outside."

"You were going to what?"

"Plant flowers."

"Where?"

"Along the side of the house where I put them last year."

"You planted?"

"I think I did."

"Well, no I planted the flowers and I put them in pots on the front porch."

"I want to have more this year too."

"And where are these plants that you were going to go outside and plant BY YOURSELF?"

"Oh, I guess we'll have to buy some and we can plant them outside like last year."

"Yeah, but last year they were in pots on the front porch."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, because I planted them."

"Oh. Maybe I can go out and get some flowers and plant them. But not now, it's too rainy."

didn't we have that part of the conversation already?

"Yeah sure, we'll get some."

"Is it raining?"

Wheeeee, this keeps going around and around and around.

After CSI I went to get her evening pills (HAPPY PILLS YAY!) and eye drops. But wait, there's her cup of pills that she was supposed to take this morning. I no longer give them to her in the morning, Debbie does when she gets here for lunch to BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that mama EATS A REAL MEAL. Hmm...

"Was Debbie here today?"

"I don't know."

"Well, your pills are still in the cabinet."

"Oh yes, she called and said she wasn't coming because it was too windy."

"Too windy? ummm ok. Did she tell you to take your pills?"

"I don't know."

At this point I realized that it was entirely possible that she hadn't actually eaten lunch. But, there was a dirty plate. And there was cake missing.

But that was it. She had cake for lunch.

And jelly beans.

Every 3 year olds fantasy. Cake and jelly beans for lunch.

No comments: